Monday, April 25, 2005

Gate gaurd, Sandstorm, Rain, Explosions

Well today has been a long day. I got up at 0200 to go do Entry Control Point (ECP) Duty. That is the army's fancy way of saying Gate Gaurd. It was alright but I would have rather been sleeping at that time. Plus there was a pretty good wind kicking up a sandstorm so I got pretty dirty out there. I guess today was Anzac Day for the Aussies about 0500 vehicle after vehicle pulled into the gate to celebrate with the Aussies we have on base. I am not sure what Anzac day is but I think it may be like thier independance day or something? Anyhow all those vehicles coming in made the time pass by quickly.

I took a moment just now to look up what Anzac Day so here is what it is:

ANZAC Day - 25 April - is probably Australia's most important national occasion. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. The soldiers in those forces quickly became known as ANZACs, and the pride they soon took in that name endures to this day.

This is actually pretty interesting if you want to read more here is where I got this info http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.htm We need holidays like this.

Enough about that...

While on gate gaurd I was thinking to myself 'Man it would be nice if it rained so this sand would stop kicking up in the wind so much' then a few hours later it started sprinkling. Now it is raining pretty good but not heavy like back home. I just thought that was ironic that it actually did rain. I thought I had seen the last of the rain a long time ago.

Earlier today we were sitting in the motorpool because we were going to have to support another platoon if they were to go out to the red zone. While we were out there we all heard about 8 loud explosions off in the distance all within 30 seconds of eachother. I don't know if that had anything to do with the platoon not going into the red zone or not but, they didn't end up going which was good because I was really not looking forward to it since I had been up since 2 and it was raining.

4 Comments:

  • I wonder if your counter is going to tell you that I come to your site about 5-10 times a day. I'm not obsessed or anything just checking on you :) I can't beleive you got up a 2:00 - if I remeber correctly that is more like your bedtime. Stay safe.

    Ronda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15  

  • LUKE PORT RULES!!!!!

    By Blogger Clayton R. Port, at 17:40  

  • Icheck on you too but not as many times a day as my daughter. She should be working, huh? Thanks for the history lesson on Anzac Day. Be Safe!

    Linda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 09:08  

  • Hi - Just wanted you to know that I lurk around your site just about every night. Have bookmarked several Milblogs just to keep up with what's happening with y'all. Can't get the "skinny" by watching the news! Thank you for your service and I appreciate your writing about what you can. Stay safe!

    By Anonymous missbirdlegs, at 20:00  

Post a Comment



<< Home