Thursday, April 14, 2005

Scratching my butt in Iraq!

Okay, so I'm not, it would be to hard to type. Today has sucked... The power has been out most of the day. I mean I shouldn't really complain about it being off during the day but my fridge is going to get warm and I will probably stub my toe, when I get back to my room, on something knowing my luck and how "clean" I keep my room :p.
It is a beautiful night in Baghdad tonight. Warm with a cool breeze and peaceful, you wouldn't even believe that there were 3 explosions that shook the buildings here earlier today. I apparently slept through the first 2 but the third one happened when I was at the Freenet and it sounded like someone walked up and pounded on the glass door and ran off.
Some of the guys we have been working with since we got here got to go home this week for good. I didn'd get to know them too well but they seemed like really cool guys. I hope their replacements are as good as they were.
Found out that the switch we are going to use has 3 bad ports on it after I did some debugging of the network. Now we have 2 less ports than we actually need. Not a big deal really, we can just add another small switch and we already have one of those... it will just look a little more ghetto. Plus no one will want to be plugged into the little switch because they will think their speed will be slower because it is a smaller piece. As stupid as that sounds it is totally true. Some of these guys have no clue what a megabit is but they see someone like me working on the network and all the sudden they think they are experts or something. They just need to trust the guys that have actually done this sort of thing before and "chill baby, chill..."
Oh the mosquitoes have not been as bad these days. No wait I spoke too soon I just got bit on the knee. :(

3 Comments:

  • I could actually sense the "beautiful, peaceful night" there as you described it (good job, Luke!) - & then the realization of the explosions earlier in the day. Can't wait until this "experience of your lifetime" thing is over - & you're safe back home. --- Aunt R.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19:42  

  • Well Luke...I thought for a minute one of those nasty bugs bit you on the butt! I'm with Aunt R...can't wait until you are back here fairly safe at home, those expolsions are a little to close! Enjoyed your post! Love & SS g/ma

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 21:25  

  • WELL LUKE;;ONCE AGAIN ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF WRITING. i HOPE THAT YOU ARE COMING CLOSER TO FINISHING THE ROOM, AND THE COMPUTER SET UP. aS ALWAYS, STAY SAFE MY FRIEND, AND I'LL TALK TO YOU REAL SOON

    MICHELLE

    By Blogger michelle lynn, at 22:28  

Post a Comment



<< Home