Friday, May 20, 2005

Update about my leave time... Kinda...

Try to guess what kind of mood I am in.

As some of you know I was planning on taking leave in June. I was hoping to be home for father's day and my birthday and was led to believe that there were no problems with my dates I chose.
I just found out last night that I have been bumped out of my leave slot by someone else. I am not sure when I am going to get to go on leave now.
The way my company does leave is they ask everyone what reasons they have for going on leave at a certain time and try to weigh each reason to see who should go. During that time. Leave slots for the next month come out toward the end of each month for the company. This means if you didn't get your leave you get bumped to the next month and your reason's for going are weighed against the soldiers that had reasons to go in that month. This causes you to keep getting bumped to the next month because your reason for going isn't even valid any longer. My birthday and father's day aren't in July so I have no reason for going on leave in July. This could keep happening until the end of our deployment causing me to miss out on leave all together.

Some soldiers are having problems back home and are taking leave early to try to fix these problems. Here are some examples of things that are happening:

  • Wives cheating on husbands

  • Wives wanting divorces because they can't take being alone

  • Wives cleaning out husbands bank accounts

  • Power of attorney/mother cleaning out son's bank account


I am not saying that these are not valid problems that need to be dealt with but this is just my platoon. I am talking less than 30 guys. Thats a pretty high percentage. This is pretty messed up - how can there be this many problems. I don't think I am going to ever get married after looking at this. We are not even half way through our deployment how can things be this messed up back home. I know that none of these people doing this stuff are going to be reading this but if they were, I would tell them to grow up. There should be a law or something that puts people like this behind bars or something. If anyone knows anyone doing something like this to a soldier that is deployed; I think I speak for every soldier man or woman when I say feel free to beat the crap out of them.
As far as my leave time goes... I have no idea when it will be. They tell me I could still squeeze into June, but I doubt that... I will keep you all posted...

15 Comments:

  • How about an excuse of "My mom's mare had a colt and I really need to get to see it." LOL.

    Well whenever you get to come home we will be looking forward to seeing you.
    Trevor said to say hi,

    A Tam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05:15  

  • One of the sadder examples I read was Dave Patton's blog. Here is a link. Dave was serving in Iraq for a year, and in his blog was always talking about how thoughts of his wife were all that was keeping him going. When he went back, he found she was living with another guy (look at his archives from July and August, 2004 if you want to see those posts).

    I really don't have a lot of use for someone (man or woman) who can't stick it out for a year waiting for their soldier spouse to come back home and ends up carrying on with some sort of crap while he's gone.

    Even though you're not getting your leave when you want it, you should feel fortunate you don't have those kinds of "problems" to fix.

    By Blogger Mad Canuck, at 12:38  

  • Yeah... I got off easy... My girlfriend decided to tell me she wasn't going to wait for me right before I left. That was way better. Not that having her back home would have been the only thing that kept me going. I know enough not to let anyone have that kind of control over my life. :p

    By Blogger SGT Port, at 13:20  

  • Geez, what a sendoff... :(

    It sounds like you got a break, though. I mean, would you really want to be with someone who wouldn't wait a year for you? Better to find that out now before you're married and have kids with her.

    This is probably a stupid question, but do you ever get any chance to meet women in Iraq?

    By Blogger Mad Canuck, at 16:24  

  • Gee Luke, I'm sorry to hear about you not getting your leave time! Were looking forward to seeing you whenever?? Love G/ma SS

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19:02  

  • "Even though you're not getting your leave when you want it, you should feel fortunate you don't have those kinds of "problems" to fix."

    Yawn.

    I think your leave reason is a good reason. I agree with you that out of 30 people, they all are having "issues" at home? Nice reason. Sounds like a bunch of suck ass pussy cry baby bullshit going on.

    How much you wanna bet these issues are because they met their spouse 3 weeks before they left and got married. Gotta have all kinds of issues when you don't even know the person. In that case, they asked for it.

    -jh

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 01:40  

  • Count yourself lucky for not having those problems. Marriage is not a 'passion filled bed of roses'. It's not a 50-50 deal either, it's 150-150 deal. After a rough 43 years in 2 marriages, I can tell you marrying someone for sex, money, or looks will not last. After 37 years with #2, I love him more every day (bald head and all..haha)

    By Blogger Chevy Rose, at 09:54  

  • Your life may stink today, but I assure you you'll experience an awesome streak again. Would put it in writing for you if I thought it would do you any good. You hang in there! A. Rhonda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 13:09  

  • Chin up Soldier, not all girlfriends or wives will do you wrong. There are some good ones out there. My hubby is over there too. And even w/8000 miles between us, all I see is him. Take care. What you are doing, sacrificing, and surviving through is greatly apprecitaed,
    Dedicated to my soldier,
    L.A.

    By Blogger Inseparable, at 11:35  

  • Chin up Soldier, not all girlfriends or wives will do you wrong. There are some good ones out there. My hubby is over there too. And even w/8000 miles between us, all I see is him. Take care. What you are doing, sacrificing, and surviving through is greatly apprecitaed,
    Dedicated to my soldier,
    L.A.

    By Blogger Inseparable, at 11:35  

  • WHAT ABOUT THE EXUSE THAT YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR COOL ASS BROTHERS OR YOUR AWESOME PARENTS OR AUNT UNCLES AND ESPECIALLY YOUR GRANDMA!!! But I supose those other guy's excuses were pretty good to. THEY BETTER NOT BE MAKING THEM UP THOUGH!!! cause that would be not cool, not cool.

    By Blogger Clayton R. Port, at 15:10  

  • Well Sgt Port - it happens to us all. I supported my guy through his deployment (which was only 4.5 mos - AF) and just before he got home I got the see ya wave. It's all in how good you are at picking the 'right' character of your significant other. I still haven't given up and do believe there's that "someone" out there for me and you should believe that too. You're too young to give up - be very discriminating and try to think with your head and heart equally.

    By Blogger Toni, at 07:41  

  • Your post reminded me of 'The Best Break Up Letter Ever' that a friend shared with me. Here it is:
    A Marine stationed in Afghanistan recently received a "Dear John" letter from his girlfriend back home. It read as follows:

    Dear Ricky,

    I can no longer continue our relationship. The distance between us is just too great. I must admit that I have cheated on you twice since you've been gone, and it's not fair to either of us. I'm sorry. Please return the picture of me that I sent to you.

    Love, Becky
    * * * *
    The Marine, with hurt feelings, asked his fellow Marines for any snapshots they could spare of their girlfriends, sisters, ex-girlfriends, aunts, cousins etc. In addition to the picture of Becky, Ricky included all the other pictures of the pretty gals he had collected from his buddies. There were 57 photos in that envelope along with this note:

    Dear Becky,

    I'm so sorry, but I can't quite remember who the f#$% you are. Please take your picture from the pile, and send the rest back to me.

    Take Care, Ricky

    By Anonymous Holly - A Soldiers' Angel, at 15:43  

  • I just want to say that there are always women who will not be faithful, just as there are unfaithful men. But there are many American women who are just grateful that you guys are hanging in there. Just know that many families back home miss you as much as you miss them. a soldier's mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22:14  

  • Just came across your blog. Want to say a big "Thank you"!! for what your doing for our country and our freedom! Very sorry to hear about the "problems" some have back home. Marriage is a sacred institution and being faithfull isn't optional it's mandatory! I agree there should be punishment for those kinds of things (problems). I understand my vows and commitment to my husband who is in the military. There are good women out there just make sure she has good values/morals! Hope you get your leave.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04  

Post a Comment



<< Home