Wednesday, June 29, 2005

OP yet again


Another long night at the Observation Point (OP). I have only had to be out in the tower a hand full of times now... it is kind of a pointless detail to get put on. There really isn't anything out there and if there was we would know by radio before we actually saw anything. There is a highway right below the tower on the other side of the wall and it is enclosed on both sides by 12 foot walls. I stare into a field on the other side of the highway over the wall all night and it is full of weeds and sand because nothing else can grow here. It is all closed off by 12 foot walls also... No doubt the site of the new Wal-mart Super Center. Of course occasionally you can hear the feint pop of gun fire or sometimes even a .50 Cal rap off some rounds. Sometimes you even hear explosions, or just hear something that sounds like thunder, out there, outside the international zone. I wish it were thunder cause that could mean rain. I don't know if I will get lucky enough to see the rain again here. I guess if I did stay here long enough to see the rain again that wouldn't make me that lucky it would just make me here longer.
I think if I wasn't so bored all the time and higher would stop jerking us around it would be a lot easier to stand and I would even stay here longer. I have decided to wait until the end of my deployment to decide if I want to stay in the guard or not. There are a lot of good things that the guard has done for me but it could be time to move on. Only time will tell what I will actually do. By the way if anyone else tries to tell me they want to convince me to get out I think I will stay in just for fun. This is a decision I can make on my own and I already know what everyone else wants me to do. So unless I ask please don't comment on it.

I can't wait to get home for a while and that is less than 2 weeks away!

11 Comments:

  • Nice photo. Don't you just love the ease of adding them now? Say, do you use Army pc or you do own a wireless laptop? Just wondering.
    I hope you know that whatever decision you make on your service, there are millions here in USA that salute you for your sacrifice from home and family.
    God bless and keep your head down.

    By Blogger Chevy Rose, at 08:16  

  • What a hard ass, Larry C.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 09:43  

  • We need rain here too, it has been high 90 degrees all week around here. It is too hot to do anything. I finally helped your brother put in his air conditioner so when you come for a visit it will be nice and cool. By the way, your fish look good. That little catfish is crazy...ok, gotta run. Take care of your self.
    -Linda T.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13  

  • Nice pic, Luke! Glad to see you're doing well. Hows the squirrel, by the way? :)

    By Blogger what.would.punkin.do?, at 14:36  

  • Hiya bud.

    As a Canadian I dislike the war but I certainly applaud the efforts of all the troops there. Patriotism is a wonderful thing and takes more courage than I have ever been able to muster. We face a small threat for domestic terrorism but after 9/11 I can comprehend your pain and anger.

    Keep your head down and respond to Chevy about the wireless laptop!

    Good luck ....

    FredMoore@shaw.ca

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 03:56  

  • And as a French I agree with my Canadian fellow - Not sure that invading Iraq was the right things to do 2 years ago but now it's history, and I totally support you, soldiers, doing the best you can over there.

    Hope things are going to be better in Iraq as soon as possible. It's time for everyone, American, European, Arabs, to work together to give the best future for Iraqies.

    Take care, you and your buddies are in my thoughts.

    Alain
    al1_broquet@yahoo.fr

    By Anonymous Alain, at 07:25  

  • Gonna be hard for old A.R. not to "comment" about your impending "decision" about extending you know what. How about if I use hand signals or even sign language? Ha!---A.Rhonda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 09:01  

  • Hey Luke,

    I am sure you know what my vote is for what you do with your future but I am proud of all you are doing and would support any decision you make. Have a safe trip home and I know your Mom and Dad can hardly wait.
    Oh ya, neat photo had to really look at it for a while to decide where everything was at.

    A Tam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19  

  • hey

    I think you should not resign. HA!!! now your going to resign just to spite me :p Just kidding bro can't wait to see you.

    By Blogger Clayton R. Port, at 19:09  

  • Wow Luke, apparently telling people not to give their opinion about you staying in the Guard wasn't clear enough. They must not trust you to make that decision yourself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 15:02  

  • hahaha Glad someone noticed that.

    By Blogger SGT Port, at 15:34  

Post a Comment



<< Home